You Are Not Alone On Your Immigration Journey

What is the K1 Visa Adjustment of Status?

Latest News

Individuals may enter the United States with a K1 fiancé(e) visa when they plan to marry a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. However, this visa expires after 90 days. By this point, the foreign national spouse must apply to have the conditions removed and receive a green card.

Adjusting your K1 visa status is an exciting achievement along the path to US citizenship! But the process can be complicated and frustrating if you don’t have the right legal help. An experienced immigration attorney will advise you on what forms to submit and how to present enough evidence to increase your chances of approval. With such important matters at stake, don’t take the risk of going it alone. Call our law firm today!

What Forms Are Commonly Used for K1 Visa Adjustment of Status?

The following are some of the commonly used forms for adjusting your K1 visa status:

  • Form I-485 – This immigration form indicates to USCIS that the marriage between a foreign national and US citizen has taken place during the proper time period. Filing this form is an essential first step in upgrading your immigration status.
  • For I-864 – This form is also known as the Affidavit of Support and is filed by the US citizen spouse indicating that they are sponsoring their foreign-born spouse for a green card.
  • Form I-693 – This form refers to the individual passing a medical examination and receiving required vaccinations.
  • Form I-765 – This form is the Application for Employment Authorization and allows the foreign spouse to work in the US.
  • Form I-131 – This form allows the applicant to travel, whereas the K1 visa is for one-time entry into the United States.

Contact our law firm today for help determining what forms you need for your K1 visa adjustment status.

What Should I Expect in a K1 Visa Adjustment of Status Interview?

The K1 visa adjustment of status interview is another critical step to obtaining a green card. You will meet with a USCIS officer who will ask questions to verify that you are not otherwise disqualified from becoming a permanent resident. Your spouse will also need to attend an interview, and you both may be asked the same questions separately to compare your answers.

It is a good idea to have an attorney present at the adjustment interview to avoid possible confusion. A skilled simultaneous interpreter may also be required in some situations.

Can Our Immigration Law Firm Help You?

The K1 visa adjustment of status can be exciting but stressful. Having an experienced K1 visa lawyer on your team is one of the best choices to increase your chances of success.

At our law firm, our immigration lawyer has handled many family-based and marriage-based cases in his nearly three decades of practice. He will stand by you throughout the process to help you understand what is expected of you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment at 312-728-4610.

Related Articles

What are the Key Differences Between Affirmative and Defensive Asylum?

Read More

Whether To Conduct A Self Audit Or Wait For The U.S.C.I.S

Read More

What Are the Legal Requirements for Sponsoring a Relative for a Green Card?

Read More