Chicago K3 Visa Lawyer Getting Green Cards for Immigrants Married to a U.S. Citizen
One type of immigration that is commonly used but still challenging for people is entering the United States because they are married to a U.S. citizen. The foreign-born spouse often faces difficulties proving the relationship is valid and must wait for long periods before they can enter the U.S. and be united with their loved one.
The K3 visa helps because it allows the immigrant spouse to enter as a nonimmigrant and spend time with their spouse while waiting to upgrade their immigration status. This can bring many incredible benefits to both spouses. But obtaining the K3 visa can still be challenging. Please seek formal legal advice from a trusted immigration attorney when applying for the K3 or any visa.
At the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler, we are happy to discuss your situation and help you determine which path is right for you in your immigration journey. Call us today at 312-728-4610!
Who Qualifies for the K3 Visa?
K3 visas are intended for nonimmigrant spouses already married to a U.S. citizen. This implies that the marriage occurred in a foreign country, and the couple now wishes to reside in the United States. The foreign-born person should expect to demonstrate that they are in good health, have high moral character and that their marriage is bona fide.
Some essential requirements for getting your K3 visa approved are:
- You must be married to a U.S. citizen.
- You must have a valid passport and hold legal residence in another country.
- The U.S. citizen spouse must meet financial requirements showing they can provide for you.
- A joint sponsor must verify that they will help financially provide the couple by filing an Affidavit of Support if the U.S. citizen’s gross income is below the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Your U.S. citizen spouse must submit Form I-130, and you must have received notice that this form is pending with the USCIS.
- Your spouse must also submit the Petition for Alien Fiancé or Form I-129F.
How Do You Apply for a K3 Visa?
The K3 application begins with the citizen spouse filing Forms I-130 and I-129F. These petitions indicate that the U.S. citizen is sponsoring an alien family member, specifically their spouse. Along with these forms, the couple should expect to provide several documents, including passport copies, birth certificates, evidence of one spouse’s citizenship, proof of termination of any prior marriages, and photos of both spouses. The foreign-born spouse must also file a petition by submitting Form DS-160 to the USCIS.
With the varying submissions and mountain of evidence required, it can be overwhelming and frustrating even to begin the K3 visa process. We recommend that anyone wanting to enter the country and be with their U.S. citizen spouse reach out to a competent lawyer for help. USCIS regulations vary suddenly and without notice, causing applications to be delayed or denied. Don’t take any chances! Call the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler today.
What Benefits do K3 Visa Holders Enjoy?
When your K3 visa is approved, you will enjoy many benefits, including:
- You will face shorter waiting periods than for a green card.
- You can file for employment authorization and work in the United States.
- You may travel in and out of the United States.
- You may sponsor children who are under 21 years old.
- You can stay in the United States while waiting for your lawful permanent residence status approval.
- You will be on a direct path toward permanent residency and eventual citizenship.
Can Our K3 Visa Attorney Help You?
If you are a foreign-born person hoping to immigrate to the United States and reside with your U.S. citizen spouse, you may face long wait times and a challenging process to receive your green card from afar. The K3 visa is an excellent alternative because it allows quicker entry into the U.S. while you wait for your status to be upgraded to a permanent legal resident.
When applying for a K3 visa, you want to know that your attorney understands immigration law and will stand by you throughout the process. Attorney Kevin Dixler has nearly three decades of experience in immigration law and has worked with countless couples immigrating based on marriage. We promise to fight for your rights and be a strong ally in your immigration journey. Reach out to us right away at 312-728-4610.