Chicago Deportation Defense Lawyer Helping Clients Stay in the U.S.
Immigration law in the United States can change quickly, such as new deadlines or changes in procedure. However, the rules and regulations applying to visa holders are still strictly enforced. Violating the terms of your visa can affect your ability to upgrade your immigration status, threatening the life you have worked so hard to build in the U.S.
When you are facing removal proceedings for any reason, you need reliable deportation defense attorneys who understand the law and will represent you confidently in immigration court. Our award-winning law firm’s deportation lawyer has three decades of experience helping foreign nationals achieve their goals of entering and remaining in the United States. He has given legal counsel for people charged with crimes that could disqualify them from earning a green card.
For formal legal advice, you can trust, look no further than the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler. Attorney Dixler will take the stress out of the confusing and complicated process of protecting your immigration status and, if needed, will give you excellent defense in immigration courts. Contact our law firm today to schedule a consultation at 312-728-4610.
What Are the Grounds for Removal from the United States?
Foreign nationals who are facing deportation proceedings are typically sent a Notice to Appear (NTA). This document is like a court summons that will give reasons you are being summoned for deportation hearings. These reasons can be that you violated immigration law or for other criminal activity.
Some common grounds for deportation from the United States are:
- Unlawful presence, which means you have violated the terms of your visa, such as overstaying past the maximum time allowed.
- Seeking a green card when you have a nonimmigrant visa. Many immigrants don’t realize that their visas include a condition to return to their home country when the time period expires. Attempting to apply for permanent residency violates this clause and can be cause for removal.
- Aggravated felonies, such as murder, rape, fraud, drug trafficking, theft, and more. These are also known as crimes of moral turpitude.
- Drug conviction. Drug use can get you deported even if you are not convicted of a crime. For these cases, please seek the help of a trusted immigration attorney!
- Domestic violence. Abuse, child neglect, stalking, and other domestic crimes can lead to deportation and require the help of a talented lawyer.
- Firearms conviction, such as illegal possession or sale of a gun or other deadly weapon.
- Committing marriage fraud.
- Committing human trafficking.
- Knowingly helping smuggle another person illegally into the United States.
What Options Do I Have When Facing Deportation?
It can be terrifying to find out you must begin the deportation process when you have worked so hard to build a new life for yourself and your family in America. However, you still have options with the help of knowledgeable deportation defense lawyers.
Attorney Kevin Dixler helps many immigrants facing deportation with their removal defense, including pursuing the following relief strategies:
- Adjustment of Status – You may be able to avoid deportation by adjusting your current immigration status. This is a simple technique that an experienced lawyer like Mr. Dixler can easily help with.
- Cancellation of removal – This form of removal defense may be used one time for immigrants facing removal as long as they have not been convicted of a serious crime.
- Seeking Asylum – You may be able to seek asylum to avoid deportation if you fear or are threatened with harm in your home country because of your race, religion, political beliefs, or nationality.
- Using the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) – You can petition for immigration benefits if you are the victim of cruelty by a U.S. citizen or green card-holding spouse, parent, or adult child.
- U Visas – You may be eligible for a U visa which can extend your immigration benefits if a serious crime was committed against you and you are assisting law enforcement with investigating the crime. Many recipients may stay in the U.S. for four years with a U visa, and these visas can lead to a green card.
Why Are My Immigration Proceedings Being Delayed?
Many immigrants worry that they may face removal when their applications are delayed. However, delays at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services are normal and could reflect simple errors that can be corrected. The USCIS receives an overwhelming number of applications regularly, and the petitions are usually handled in the order they are processed. Your delays could result from hesitation to submit the forms or required evidence, as well as a number of other mistakes.
Some errors that could cause delays in immigration applications are:
- Filing the wrong forms
- Filing in the wrong location
- Not providing adequate evidence for your application
- You are not eligible for the benefit you applied for
- Sending the wrong filing fee
Delays with the USCIS do not necessarily mean you will be deported, but these situations can cause a high level of stress and anxiety. The best way to avoid delays is to speak with deportation lawyers who understand immigration law and will identify the right forms needed to get you the approval you’re seeking. If you need help with a delayed application or for formal legal advice on getting the immigration benefits you deserve, call the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler today!
Can an Immigration Lawyer Help Me Avoid Deportation?
While there neither you nor your lawyer can control the actions of the USCIS, there is hope in hiring deportation lawyers with a deep knowledge of the law who can get you the defense you deserve. Immigration appeals vary depending on the individual’s situation and require a great deal of understanding and experience.
At the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler, we understand that this may be your first time through the immigration process. However, we have been handling cases like this for nearly 30 years, giving us the know-how necessary to confidently navigate your removal proceedings and help you stay in the United States. Attorney Dixler will help you submit the proper forms, provide evidence, and defend you before an immigration judge if necessary. Call us today for outstanding legal services from a lawyer you can trust.
Should You Hire Our Deportation Defense Attorney?
Immigrants facing removal hearings may wonder if there is any hope for them to stay in the United States. Facing removal from the U.S. can be a scary experience as you may not know what the future will bring. Don’t go through this troubling process alone. Reach out to our immigration lawyer for help understanding what will happen during the proceedings, and for removal defense, you can count on.
Our immigration attorney has won numerous awards for his dedication and skill in defending immigrants, including in deportation cases. Choosing to delay in responding to your deportation letter, or hiring a lawyer without the experience necessary, can have devastating consequences. Our consultations are not free, but they come with recommendations based on nearly 30 years of experience. And if you hire us, the small appointment fee will be deducted from your total bill. We offer affordable services, and we believe you’ll find that the small price is worth the priceless gift of confidence and freedom of legal residence in the United States.
When it comes to your removal defense, you can’t afford to go with a law firm that doesn’t regularly handle immigration matters like deportation. The life you have built in the U.S. for you and your family is just too valuable. Don’t leave such important matters up to chance. Contact the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler at 312-728-4610 today!