Chicago Naturalization Lawyer Helping Clients
America’s history of welcoming immigrants is integral to this nation’s cultural identity. People from all over the world make the United States a wonderful place to live based on freedom and the rule of law. Entering the U.S. legally and respecting those laws will make your new life in America that much more rewarding.
Naturalization is the process of becoming a citizen of a new country when you were born somewhere else. In the U.S., naturalization brings many incredible benefits otherwise available to the country’s natural-born citizens. It also demonstrates your allegiance to the U.S. and your willingness to abide by its laws. Gaining citizenship is satisfying, but achieving this goal can be challenging and complex without the help of a talented immigration lawyer.
Who is Eligible to Naturalize?
Not everyone may gain U.S. citizenship right away. To naturalize or receive citizenship status even though you were born in a foreign land, an immigrant must meet specific requirements under U.S. law.
Some of the requirements to be eligible for naturalization are:
- The individual must have been a legal resident (green card holder) for at least five years or three years if their resident status was obtained through their spouse.
- They must be at least 18 of age.
- The person must demonstrate good moral character. Anyone convicted of a crime of moral turpitude, such as robbery, rape, or murder, may be denied citizenship in the United States.
- The applicant must have resided in the U.S. for five (or three) consecutive years before filing the petition for citizenship.
- The person must demonstrate strong English skills and pass an exam on U.S. citizenship, including basic history and government.
What Are the Benefits of Naturalization?
There are many benefits to becoming a United States citizen. Among the most important for many people is that they do not have to fear deportation and may sponsor loved ones to enter the country and gain lawful permanent residence.
Some other significant benefits of naturalization are:
- You don’t need to renew your green card, as you will have a permanent ID and enjoy the status that comes with it.
- You will have less risk of deportation. Permanent residents may still be deported if they commit certain crimes. However, U.S. citizens will not be deported.
- You can travel more easily in and out of the U.S. United States citizens face much less scrutiny when traveling across national borders, including shorter lines and greater ease in traveling without a visa.
- You may petition for visas on behalf of foreign-born family members. Green card holders are limited to sponsoring immediate family members, while citizens can help more extended relatives enter the country.
- You can pass citizenship status on to your children under 18 as long as they are lawful permanent residents residing in the United States.
- You may run for public office.
- You can obtain a passport for more accessible travel around the world.
- You may qualify for tax benefits.
Is it Worth it to Hire a Lawyer When Seeking Naturalization?
Seeking citizenship is a worthy goal that many people have. However, this process can be complex and frustrating with its many forms, and all the evidence required. Furthermore, your unique situation may cause roadblocks you don’t expect when pursuing naturalization.
When you hire a skilled immigration attorney like Kevin Dixler, you can rely on that lawyer’s depth of knowledge and experience gained through decades of practice in immigration law. Mr. Dixler has handled numerous cases of wide varieties through the years, and you benefit from that insight and skill in every recommendation and meeting.
Should You Hire Our Naturalization Attorney?
It can be challenging to pick an immigration attorney with the many options available in the Chicago area. We urge you to call us and discuss your situation and goals to see how we can help you. At the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler, we promise to stand by you throughout the immigration process, helping you realize your dreams of citizenship in the United States.
Our naturalization lawyer has nearly 30 years of experience and has won numerous awards for his outstanding services in immigration matters. Please rely on our legal team’s dedication, honesty, and knowledge as we fight for your right to become a U.S. citizen. Contact us today by calling 312-728-4610.