You Are Not Alone On Your Immigration Journey

How Do You Remove Conditions on a Conditional Green Card?

Latest News

Individuals who receive a green card based on a marriage that is less than two years old must petition to get the conditions removed when their residency expires. Getting approval depends on proving you are still married to a U.S. citizen or legal resident or that your parent is still married to a U.S. citizen or resident in their Form I-751.

Removing the conditions from your green card is an exciting step in your immigration journey! However, this process is complex as it requires proving that your marriage is bona fide. Things become even more difficult if you have divorced the person. There is still hope, as you may file Form I-751 without your spouse if you entered the marriage in good faith. Contacting a good lawyer is a significant first step in getting your conditions removed, so call us today at 312-728-4610!

Who is Eligible to Have Green Card Conditions Removed?

Individuals still married to the person with whom they filed for the green card are eligible to have the conditions removed. This also applies to people who obtained a green card because their parent married a U.S. citizen.

You may also keep your green card and remove the conditions if you have divorced the person or if they died. This process is more complicated as you must prove that you entered the marriage in good faith. Your lawyer can help you gather evidence to remove your conditions, such as photos of the two of you taking vacations together and evidence that you had children or owned joint bank accounts or leases.

How Do You Apply to Remove Green Card Conditions?

To remove the conditions from your green card, you should first speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you file the proper forms and gather enough evidence to get the petition approved. The first form you should focus on is Form I-751. This must be filed jointly with the person who sponsored you in getting the original green card, either the citizen spouse or parent. Reach out to our law firm for help getting the proper forms sent in on time so you can receive permanent legal status.

Should You Hire Our Immigration Lawyer?

Immigration matters can be complex, with the changing regulations and deadlines at USCIS. Our law firm is delighted to help individuals achieve their immigration goals in family or marriage-based immigration cases. Even if your marriage ended in divorce, there is still hope that you can remove the marriage conditions from your green card, especially if you were battered or abused.

Whenever you have immigration questions or need help through this challenging process, you can turn to our law firm for an honest, dedicated lawyer with nearly 30 years of experience in immigration law. We will stand by you throughout your immigration procedures and give you the best chance possible of getting your petitions approved. Call today to schedule an appointment at 312-728-4610.

Related Articles

What are the Key Differences Between Affirmative and Defensive Asylum?

Read More

How Long After Deportation Can You Return to the U.S.?

Read More

Whether To Conduct A Self Audit Or Wait For The U.S.C.I.S

Read More