You Are Not Alone On Your Immigration Journey

What Are the Income Requirements for a Green Card Sponsor?

Latest News

Many immigrants are eager to help their family members come to the United States and obtain lawful permanent residence through a green card. However, just as you went through a challenging process in obtaining citizenship, your loved ones may also go through a rigorous process of applying and submitting to evaluations to determine when they may enter the country. One way you can help is by sponsoring them to come into the country.

In order to sponsor someone for a green card, the following requirements must be met:

  • You must be at least 18, often 21, and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (holding a green card).
  • You must reside in the United States or a U.S. territory.
  • Your income level must be at least 125 percent of the Federal poverty level (or 100 percent for active-duty military personnel sponsoring immediate family members).
  • You must submit Form I-864, also known as an affidavit of support.

Who Can I Sponsor for a Green Card?

Understanding whom you may sponsor for a U.S. green card is essential. It is possible for individuals to sponsor others who are not family members as long as there is a close relationship, such as an employer sponsoring an employee. Parents may also sponsor an adopted child who is immigrating to the U.S.

What Happens If I Don’t Meet Income Requirements?

A minimum income must be met to sponsor someone for a green card in the United States. This is currently a minimum of 125 percent of the Federal poverty level or 100 percent of the poverty level for active-duty military members. For those who do not meet the minimum income requirements, there is still hope to sponsor another person for lawful permanent residence.

When the financial requirements are not met through income, the individual’s assets may be considered when determining their eligibility for financial sponsorship. The assets could include savings accounts, real property, stocks, and bonds. You may also submit with a joint sponsor who accepts legal responsibility for you and your family member.

Can Our Law Firm Help You?

Becoming a financial sponsor for someone else is one of the greatest gifts you can give them. It allows them the chance to have the freedoms and opportunities the United States of America provides and to be united with their loved ones. Our outstanding immigration lawyer has nearly three decades of experience helping unite families and assisting clients in achieving their dream of U.S. citizenship. Please don’t leave this important matter up to chance. Contact us today to see how we can help make your dreams come true. Rely on our experience and vast knowledge of the law to help you navigate the complicated process of helping your family members gain permanent legal status. Call today at 312-728-4610!

Related Articles

What Is the Difference Between a Fiancé Visa & Marriage Visa?

Read More

How Long After Deportation Can You Return to the U.S.?

Read More

What is DACA?

Read More