Chicago E-2 Visa Lawyer Helping Clients
The E visa category helps treaty investors and other foreign investors enter the United States. Some basic requirements for approval of the E2 visa are that the individual must have a minimum investment amount in a bona fide enterprise in the U.S., and their entry into the country must be for the purpose of operating the business. While this may seem simple, the exact requirements fluctuate quickly, meaning you should have legal counsel when pursuing an E-2 visa or any change in immigration status. With E-2 approval, the immigrant does not receive permanent residency. However, the visa can be renewed indefinitely as long as the business remains viable.
At the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler, we have nearly three decades of experience helping investors and other clients, and their family members through the immigration process. We understand how frustrating it can be to try to get an investor visa with the changing laws. We promise to stand by you through the entire process and help prove to the immigration officer that you deserve a visa because of your substantial investment in a business that will help the American economy. Contact us today at 312-728-4610 to learn more and see how we can help you!
Who is Eligible for an E-2 Visa?
A treaty investor who hopes to invest in a new or existing business in the United States should make speaking with an immigration lawyer their top priority to learn if they are eligible for an E-2 visa. The attorney can help identify whether this is the right path to take in entering the U.S. and will help gather evidence to get approval.
Some general qualifications the USCIS looks for in granting E-2 visas are:
- The individual should be a member of one of the treaty countries with which the United States conducts commerce.
- The person should currently have a substantial amount of capital invested in an existing business in the United States.
- The motivation for entry into the United States should be to develop a new business or entrepreneurial undertaking. They must also demonstrate that their role in the business includes at least 50% ownership or operational control in a managerial position.
One tricky part of getting approval for the E-2 visa is knowing how much capital qualifies as a “substantial amount” for the minimum investment amount. This money is in relationship to the cost of purchasing an existing business or beginning a new enterprise. As these amounts fluctuate with market conditions, it is helpful to have an experienced immigration lawyer who understands the law and can give you up-to-date, accurate information. Reach out to Attorney Kevin Dixler right away for help in applying for your E2 visa.
What Does an E-2 Visa Do?
The E-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa intended for treaty investors, not immigrants. As such, it does not grant legal residency or a green card. However, the individual approved for the investor visa may live in the U.S. as long as their investment enterprise is operating. The visa must be renewed for the investor to stay in the country, but this may be done an infinite number of times as long as the qualifications are met.
Furthermore, the E-2 visa only grants permission for the employee or treaty investor to enter the United States for the purpose of working in the investment enterprise they originally applied to work on. This means they are not at liberty to change employment and remain in the United States without affecting their eligibility status.
Finally, approved E-2 workers may sponsor immediate family members such as their spouse and unmarried children. These family members also have conditional approval to live in the U.S. according to the same terms that apply to the E2 investor. As immigration law is subject to change without notice, you should not begin the process of pursuing an E-2 visa without first speaking with a trusted immigration attorney who can go over your unique situation with you.
How Can a Lawyer Help Me Get an E-2 Visa?
E2 immigration attorneys are an excellent resource when applying for an investor visa or when any other immigration-related legal services are needed. Your lawyer will help with more than just filling out and submitting forms! They can assess your situation based on your unique circumstances and goals, finding the right path to your entering the United States.
Some roles and functions of an immigration lawyer are:
- Identifying your source of funds – Your E-2 visa lawyer can help you satisfy the minimum investment requirement associated with the investor visa. You will need to prove that you not only have the money but that you obtained it lawfully. Your lawyer can give you advice and help you gather documentation to do this.
- Evaluating your E2 business plan – Another qualification for E-2 visas is that your proposed enterprise must be a for-profit, substantial business that generates enough income to provide for your family and help the U.S. economy. This can all be difficult to prove without the help of an experienced attorney.
- Preparing a cover letter that summarizes your E-2 application – With the extensive evidence necessary to prove you have the minimum investment amount, that you obtained it lawfully, and that you plan to invest in a bona fide enterprise, you may end up with an application that consists of hundreds of pages of documents. Immigration lawyers know how to summarize this information in a cover letter that communicates critical information to the immigration officer, helping your chances of getting approved.
- Finally, should complications arise in the future, your immigration lawyer will know you personally and be able to represent you in the unfortunate case that you ever face deportation or removal of your temporary immigrant status.
For a talented legal team with nearly 30 years of experience, contact the Law Office of Kevin L. Dixler today!
Can our E-2 Visa Attorney Help You?
Hiring a law firm to help with your E-2 visa application is one of the best decisions you can make. With a lawyer on your side, you can proceed with confidence in knowing that you will be pursuing a better life in America with all of the freedoms and opportunities this provides. This is one of the best gifts you can give yourself and your loved ones who will be able to come with you when you get approved for an E-2 visa.
Attorney Kevin L. Dixler has the skills and experience necessary to give you an excellent chance at an E-2 visa. He will help you gather the documents necessary to prove to USCIS that you deserve to come to America. Don’t delay; call today at 312-728-4610!